Cogence is a place to find and share data. Think of it as a YouTube for data, where you can both find data others have shared and share your own data.
What Kind of Data?
We specialize in structured data — formatted so that it can be read by machines. Example file formats include CSV, JSON, and XML.
However, we're not strictly limited to structured data, so you may sometimes find data sets of images and other primary sources from which structured data has been or could be derived.
We also prefer public data — it doesn't have to be free, but enough metadata does need to be publicly accessible for one to determine whether it would be useful. For that reason, all data listed on Cogence is publicly discoverable.
Why You Should Share Your Data
So that others may make use of it and cite your work. Collecting, cleaning, mixing, and formatting data can be difficult and time-consuming, so you could save others lots of extra effort by making the fruits of your labor available.
Perhaps you've already uploaded your data somewhere on the Internet. By listing that data on Cogence, it will be discovered and used by more people.
How to Share Your Data
You don't upload data to Cogence. Rather, you upload it wherever you choose on the Internet, then give us its address.
Once you have URLs for your data and supporting materials, you can add it to our search engine using the Add Data form.
Search For Data Sets
We've collected and curated hundreds of thousands of data sets from across the web here in one place so you can easily find what you're looking for.
We Care About Privacy
- We don't want your password — use your Google or Facebook accounts to sign in to your Cogence account.
- We don't automatically collect your name, email address, or any other personal information — you must explicitly give it to us.
- We operate only over HTTPS.
- Your Cogence account does not have a URL and never will.
- The data you add to the search engine may be attributed to an organization or pseudonym — both the data set and the given public profile will have a public URL, and your account is never referenced.
- You may delete your Cogence account at any time.
We'd love to hear about what you're looking for in a data platform. Feel free to send us any ideas you have at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thoughtfully respond to all emails.